Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Story Behind The Journey

About Me

My name is Stacy Bernstein and I am 20 years old living in sunny Southern California. For as long as I can remember I have loved reading, from the first time that I stepped into a bookstore to this very moment there is nothing that can match the feeling that reading gives me. I love the escape from real world, the ability to connect to characters throughout stories, and the knowledge that comes with every book that I read.

Other than reading in my free time you can find me watching Netflix, (nothing better than marathoning an entire season of a show in one sitting!) drinking coffee, making cupcakes, going to Disneyland, (I have had an annual pass since I was 10 and have been to Disneyland over 100 times in my life) cuddling with my kitties and puppy, sitting on the beach, or going to a cute cafe with my best friends.

I have always found that writing words down got my point across better than speaking them outloud. When I was younger I would write letters to my parents instead of having a conversation in person. There was something about pen to paper and fingers to keyboard that made my thoughts all the more clear. I feel very privileged to be in a society where I can choose to write my opinions into the world and have others read them and understand where i'm coming from.


The NPR 2012 Project

It all started one day while I was laying on my bed in a hotel room in Palm Springs. I was scrolling through my twitter feed when John Green (one of my all time favorite authors, valued for his consistent writing style and excellent plot lines) shared a link of National Public Radios 100 Best-Ever Teen Novel List for 2012. I was scrolling through the list and realized that although I had read a large amount of these books (33 at the time) and heard of many others, I hadn't heard of some and hadn't read a large majority of them. I got to thinking, I have a rather relaxed school schedule this year (not that a busy one has ever stopped me from reading) and it would be the perfect time to check out all of these other books and see what these 75,220 other people saw in these books to rate them their favorites. From that day on the journey started, as I continue reading the books, I will rate them and explain my thoughts behind them (hopefully without revealing too many plot points not on the back cover that will ruin the story line for others). I will also, on days I haven't completed a new book, review some of the old books that I had read before this journey started that are also on the list. I hope that you reading this, are finding it somewhat helpful in whatever yearning you may have to find new books that reach out to you and understand you in ways that you hadn't quite thought were possible.

General Q&A and Contact Me

I appreciate any and all feedback, so feel free to comment on the posts with your own opinions of the books and let your friends know about it as well!

I am always open for a review swap and love having guest bloggers. If you would like to work out a trade you can comment on here, or email me at fashionista.stacy@yahoo.com 

Thank you for reading and I hope that you enjoy your read.

“What she was finding also was how one book led to another, doors kept opening wherever she turned and the days weren't long enough for the reading she wanted to do.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and respond to all comments and I'd love to hear your opinions! Let me know what you think about the post, dialogue is always appreciated.