Monday, August 13, 2012

#99- Wintergirls By Laurie Halse Anderson

#99 Wintergirls

Rating- 8/10

As the first book of the project, I had somewhat high hopes. In order to not drive myself crazy and forcefully go in order from top to bottom or bottom to top I made a decision to choose a random book from the list that called out to me that day.

This book did not dissapoint. I had previously read books from Laurie Halse Anderson and I was aware that I liked her style of writing.

The main plot of the story is two girls, Cassie and Lia, who are best friends growing up, they both struggle with anorexia and bullimia, and in the first chapter of the book, Cassie dies (don't worry, this isnt a spoiler, it says it on the back cover) and Lia is forced to deal with both the death of her friend and her eating disorder problems.

My reasoning for liking this book as much as I did was the character development. I felt a very strong connection with the main character from the first page of the book and when she connected and spoke to other people I felt like I knew them as well, which is always a strong point in the voice of the narrator.

It also felt very real, instead of feeling somewhat cliche, which sometimes happens, I felt like the story could have been written by a girl who had struggled with these issues and really knew what they felt like. When Lia was struggling and upset I felt that emotion as well.

The book from beginning to end held my attention the entire way and I highly recommend reading it.


"There is no magic cure, no making it all go away forever. There are only small steps upward; an easier day, an unexpected laugh; a mirror that doesn't matter anymore. I am thawing." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and respond to all comments and I'd love to hear your opinions! Let me know what you think about the post, dialogue is always appreciated.