Friday, August 24, 2012

#1- The Harry Potter Series By J.K. Rowling

#1- The Harry Potter Series

Rating- 9.5/10

I've been somewhat dreading having to write this post. How is it possible to sum up Harry Potter into one blog post? It seems like something that needs an entire novel sized post.

I have never been a part of the Harry Potter band-wagon. I didnt read these books as a second grader and grow up loving them, I didnt wait at the theaters at midnight many years in a row waiting to see the movies... that is until this past year.

My friends had been getting on my case about not reading Harry Potter, my reasoning in the past was that I am not a huge fan of fantasy books, well they mentioned how much I enjoyed Hunger Games and other similar "fantasy" books and told me that I would enjoy Harry Potter and NOW was the time to read it, perfect timing so we could all go and see the final movie together at midnight. 

So I borrowed all seven books from my friends and went about the journey of reading Harry Potter. Now I promise you, I did have a job and went to school during this, but every single spare second of time I had in my day went to reading these books. I read through the entire series in three weeks. Do you know how many pages that is? I dont know either... but I assume a lot of them.

To this day, even after watching a movie marathon of all of the movies after reading all of the books in order, can't tell you which plotline belongs in which novel. It all blurred together into this awesome story that was never ending to me. Which honestly makes me really happy that I was able to read it all at once.

Basically, for those of you who havent heard of Harry Potter (lets be real, who hasnt heard of Harry Potter these days) its a story following Harry, Ron, and Hermione, through their magical adventures at Hogwarts School Of Witchcraft And Wizardry. From the first book when Harry doesnt even know that he is a wizard, to the final book when he is the most powerful wizard of all battling "He Who Shall Not Be Named (shhh.... its Voldemort)" in the battle of his life Harry emits a realness that will stick with the reader from page one of book one to the final page of book seven.

To many people, including myself now, Harry Potter is more than just a book, its a magical adventure that we are able to get into by opening the pages of this book. It seems like a summarization of the books wouldnt even do half of the justice, so I'll just tell you this. Go out and read them, but make sure to give yourself plenty of time to do it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and respond to all comments and I'd love to hear your opinions! Let me know what you think about the post, dialogue is always appreciated.