Monday, August 27, 2012

#96- Gone By Michael Grant

#96- Gone

Rating-10/10

I discovered this series earlier this summer and got hooked instantly. The story follows a town called Perdido Beach, a fictional town in Southern California, 15 years ago the town had a radiation spill when a meteor hit the power plant in the town. Everyone claims that its completely taken care of... but this story says otherwise.

The main narrator is Sam Temple, he is sitting in school one day, after a lovely morning of surfing, when suddenly the teacher just disappears.

It seems quite strange, at first he isnt sure if he is losing his mind, everyone around him starts looking around and nervously giggling, at a certain point they realize that the teacher isnt anywhere to be found, they go into the hallway and a bunch more kids are also flabbergasted that their teachers have gone missing, along with all of their older classmates. After a while of searching they realize that everyone over the age of 15 has dissapeared. Not only that, but an area of Perdido Beach is completely blocked off by an impenetrable bubble.

The children are now in a place where they need to start to run a town, without any adult supervision. At first things are very hectic, children are upset without their parents around and not knowing what to do are eating junk food and soda every meal while playing video games and trashing the town.

After a few days of this people realize that the adults wont be coming back and they need to try to get things under control for when, or if, the adults come back.

Along the way, Sam starts to realize that people arent exactly as they used to be, the bubble isnt the only strange thing occurring in this town, people are starting to develop powers that no one can explain and its only getting worse from there. Food is starting to run out and without a stable government system, everyone is looking to Sam to be a leader. Throughout the months of the "FAYZ" (Fallout Alley Youth Zone, named by the children) people rise to the occasion and begin to make this place their home the best that they can.

I was hooked the very first moment that I read this book, after finishing the first I went ahead and bought all of the rest on my nook that very night. I loved the twists and turns and the storyline kept me intrigued the entire way through. Some of it also gave me nightmares (my fault for falling asleep reading) moral of this post, read the books. I read these throughout all of my vacations, unable to finish until it was completed. I CANT WAIT for the next and final book of the series to come out so I can finally find out what happens. My above post doesnt even half way explain how the books plot works, but in order to not ruin anything for the reader, its up to you to find out the rest.

“No. I believe in free will. I think we make our own decisions and carry out our own actions. And our actions have consequences. The world is what we make it. But I think sometime we can ask God to help us and He will. Sometime I think He looks down and say, 'Wow, look what those idiots are up to now. I guess I better help them along a little'.” 

2 comments:

  1. I found you through the BBN and I love what you're doing with reading the books and posting about each one. I love to read so I will be your newest follower (as soon as I can get to my computer at home...on my work computer the "GFC follower" thing doesn't show up). I was instantly hooked on this series too. I checked this one out from the library a couple of weeks ago and finished it in a couple of days. Then, I had to go on the waiting list for the next one. It was a long 2 weeks waiting for the second one! I finally was able to check out the second and third one yesterday and I just started reading Hunger. I'm ready to see what's going to happen! Have a great day!

    Megan
    justasmalltowngirlsblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and enjoying! Glad that you were able to find my blog.

      You are going to love the rest of the books, I am dying now waiting for the final one. Such suspense and incredible story lines.

      You'll have to let me know what you think of the rest of the books

      Delete

I read and respond to all comments and I'd love to hear your opinions! Let me know what you think about the post, dialogue is always appreciated.