Tuesday, August 21, 2012

#9- Looking For Alaska By John Green

#9- Looking For Alaska

Rating- 10/10

Let me just say this right now, I am a huge John Green fan, I may have jumped on the band wagon a bit late on this one, but when I read this book about a year ago I knew that I had to read more of his literature. None of his books have disapointed. That being said, do yourself a favor and read all of his books (deservingly, they are all on this list! So I will be rating all of them)

In order, this is my second favorite John Green book (beat out by TFIOS)

The story follows a boy named Miles and his rather mundane life, until his parents decide to send him to boarding school. Miles is very into last words, knowing most of the last words of anyone you can think of. He regards going to boarding school as "Seeking His Great Perhaps" which are Francois Rabelia's last words. Once there, he meets his roommate, Chip (whom everyone calls "The Colonel") a girl named Alaska (whom Mile's immediately begins crushing on), and Alaska's friend named Takumi (who quite often feels left out from the group dynamic). They have all been going to school together for a while and have created a friend group that they welcome Miles into. Their main mission; complete as many pranks as possible without getting caught. 

The group, fueled by Alaska's rebellious attitude, break rules by drinking strawberry wine, smoking cigarettes on the swing sets, and doing anything and everything to prove themselves better than the "Weekday Warriors" (The rich kids who only attend the school during the week, to then return to their extravagant homes for the weekends)

When things get out of control, and Alaska makes a decision that no-one can undo. They are all faced to deal with the consequences and try to decipher where it all went wrong.

A coming-of age kind of book that explores romance, trying to fit in while also standing out, and the importance of good friends that get you through the rough times. Looking For Alaska is a gem of a book.

“So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane.”

(on a side note, that quote has become so popular that it now has its own tumblr page, can be found here; http://peopleraindrizzlehurricane.tumblr.com/) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and respond to all comments and I'd love to hear your opinions! Let me know what you think about the post, dialogue is always appreciated.