Saturday, September 29, 2012

#2- The Hunger Games By Suzanne Collins

#2- The Hunger Games

Rating- 9/10

I haven't been updating lately and for that i'm sorry. I have been struggling a bit because I kind of felt a complete lack of motivation to do this without my grandma being able to read and tell me how great I have been doing. I originally started this because she offered to buy all of my books and help me through it and I guess her dying has really sent me for a loop as far as writing this, but I know that she wouldn't want me to give up writing and reading and for that reason I will push through this indifference and continue on with the project.

So without further ado, my review of The Hunger Games.


I read this book before it was considered popular. I remember that the third book had just come out and that I read all three books in a week long period. The first book was ultimately the best, but as an entire series its a hit.

The book follows a girl named Katniss who lives in a future world where after a rebellion the government remains in power by holding an annual Hunger Game every year, where two children (aged 12-18) from each of the worlds 12 districts have to fight to their deaths until one person remains the victor.

When Katinss' little sister, Prim, turns 12, Katniss tells her not to worry, that she only has one token in the jar and that its so unlikely she will be chosen. (there is also a way to get more in the pot, by taking food from the government and putting in your name an extra time per year, which Katniss always does) Then the day of the reaping, against all odds, Prim is chosen. In a frenzy Katniss steps up to take her place instead.

From there, she meets her boy tribute, Peeta, and they go to the capitol to train and begin preparing for the Hunger Games. Along the way, Peeta admits that he has loved Katniss since the day he met her, and Katniss wins over the hearts of the people of the capitol as "The Girl on Fire". As the book continues we watch Katniss and Peeta fight the ultimate battle of their lives while also battling the feelings that they have for eachother.

Most people these days have seen the movie, or atleast heard of this book now that its somewhat of a phenomenon. I think that although the movie was very well done, it still isn't as good as the book. So go along and buy the book and read it!

“I can feel Peeta press his forehead into my temple and he asks, 'So now that you've got me, what are you going to do with me?' I turn into him. 'Put you somewhere you can't get hurt.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and respond to all comments and I'd love to hear your opinions! Let me know what you think about the post, dialogue is always appreciated.